Sagehens Coast To 9-0 Win Over UC Santa Cruz
Claremont, Calif. - The ninth-ranked Pomona-Pitzer Women's Tennis team did not lose a set as it captured a 9-0 win over UC Santa Cruz on Friday at Pauley Courts.
With the win, the Sagehens improve to 3-0 to start the season, including an 8-1 win over Cal Lutheran and a narrow 5-4 win over Vassar.
The team of seniors Nicole Holsted (Edmond, Okla. - pictured) and Emily Kawahara (Sacramento, Calif.) had the most dominant of the Sagehens' three wins in doubles, winning 8-2. Holsted then defeated Sarah Malone 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 singles, while Kawahara captured a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 5, defeating Sophie Lundeberg.
Junior Jamie Solomon (Los Gatos, Calif.) and sophomore Sammy Chao (Hong Kong, China) both had to work for their wins at the top two singles spots. Solomon edged Alex Scotten in the first set 7-5, and then picked up a narrow 6-4 win in the second set. Chao edged Laura Wade 7-5 in the first set as well, before a more convincing 6-2 win in the second set.
Sophomore Arthi Padmanabhan (Saratoga, Calif.) had another strong outing at No. 3 singles, earning a 6-1, 6-2 win over Courtney Lymburner. Junior Jessica Hsu (Henderson, Nev.) slid in at No., 6 singles and earned a 6-3, 6-4 win over Becca Parker.
Pomona-Pitzer will be back in action tomorrow for a home match with Trinity (Texas).
Pomona-Pitzer 9, UC Santa Cruz 0
1. Jamie Solomon/Kara Wang (PP) def. Alex Scotten/Laura Wade 8-4
2. Arthi Padmanabhan/Sammy Chao (PP) def. Courtney Lymburner/Sarah Malone 8-3
3. Nicole Holsted/Emily Kawahara (PP) def. Becca Parker/Quyen Truong 8-2
1. Jamie Solomon (PP) def. Alex Scotten 7-5, 6-4
2. Sammy Chao (PP) def. Laura Wade 7-5, 6-2
3. Arthi Padmanabhan (PP) def. Courtney Lymburner 6-1, 6-2
4. Nicole Holsted (PP) def. Sarah Malone 6-2, 6-2
5. Emily Kawahara (PP) def. Sophie Lunderberg 6-1, 6-4
6. Jessica Hsu (PP) def. Becca Parker 6-3, 6-4