Sagehens Shut Out Two SCIAC Foes
Claremont, Calif. - The Pomona-Pitzer Men's Tennis team earned 9-0 wins over both Occidental and Caltech on Saturday at the Pauley Tennis Complex.
With the wins, Pomona-Pitzer improves to 8-12 on the year, including three wins in a span of 24 hours after also beating No. 17 Gustavus Adolphus on Friday, as well as 2-3 in the SCIAC.
Occidental was the first match of the day, beginning at 9:30 a.m. with singles going before doubles, and the Sagehens were able to clinch the win before doubles even began, sweeping all six singles lines. Senior Max Sabel (Sun Valley, Idaho) provided the clinching point with a 7-5, 7-5 win at No. 1, regrouping after Josh Dancu rallied from 5-2 down in the second set to get back even.
Sophomore Connor Hudson (Golden, Colo.) completed the singles sweep when he bounced back after dropping the first set to take a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory over Jordan Brown. Pomona-Pitzer jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead at the 4-6 lines, with freshman Thomas Low (Charlotte, N.C.) earning a 6-1, 6-1 win for the first point at No. 6, sophomore Kevin Wei (San Diego, Calif.) folllowing with a 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 5, and senior Frankie Allinson (McGregor, Texas) taking a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 4.
Junior Chris Wiechert (Eugene, Ore.) then broke Steve Perkins up 5-4 in the second set for a 6-4, 6-4 win to put the Sagehens one win away from the victory, which Sabel provided minutes later.
In the nightcap, the Sagehens started three of their seniors in singles, with Allinson earning a win at No. 1, Kevin Prescott (Chicago, Ill.) taking a win at No. 2, and Joey DeBruin (Chevy Chase, Md. - pictured) capturing a win at No. 6. Freshman Jonathan Kim (Clayton, Calif.) took a three-set win at No. 3, and sophomores Michael Chang (Milipitas, Calif.) and Chris Walters (Dallas, Texas) earned wins at No. 4 and No. 5.
Kim and freshman Sam Crawford (Kansas City, Mo.) also earned an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles, as the Sagehens were able to take a 3-0 lead into singles.
Pomona-Pitzer is back in action next Saturday for a home match against Chapman at 10 a.m.
Pomona-Pitzer 9, Occidental 0
Singles (played first)
1) Max Sabel (PP) def. Josh Dancu 7-5, 7-5
2) Chris Wiechert (PP) def. Steve Perkins 6-4, 6-4
3) Connor Hudson (PP) def. Jordan Brown 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4) Frankie Allinson (PP) def. Kevin Siebs 6-1, 6-3
5) Kevin Wei (PP) def. David Cotton 6-1, 6-4
6) Thomas Low (PP) def. Kevin Zhao 6-1, 6-1
1) Max Sabel//Frankie Allinson (PP) def Josh Dancu/Jordan Brown 8-4
2) Connor Hudson/Connor Sutton (PP) def Steve Perkins/Kevin Siebs 8-4
3) Chris Wiechert/Kevin Wei (PP) def David Cotton/Avery Howard 8-3
Pomona-Pitzer 9, Caltech 0
1) Connor Sutton/Connor Hudson (PP) def Devashish Joshi/Luka Mernik 8-3
2) Jonathan Kim/Sam Crawford (PP) def. Ishan Metha/Amol Kamat 8-2
3) Thomas Low/Chris Walters (PP) def. Rushikesh Joshi/Jonh Co-Reyes 8-6
1) Frankie Allinson (PP) def. Rushikesh Joshi 6-4, 7-6 (2)
2) Kevin Prescott (PP) def. Luka Mernik 6-2, 6-1
3) Jonathan Kim (PP) def. Alex Henny 6-7 (5), 6-3, 10-4
4) Michael Chang (PP) def. John Co-Reyes 6-0, 6-2
5) Chris Walters (PP) def. Ishan Metha 6-2, 6-2
6) Joey DeBruin (PP) def. Brian Kim 6-0, 6-2