Wiechert Takes Singles Win, But Sagehens Fall To Unbeaten Middlebury
Claremont, Calif. - Junior Chris Wiechert (Eugene, Ore. - pictured) earned a two-set win at No. 2 singles, but No. 14 Middlebury stayed undefeated with an 8-1 win over Pomona-Pitzer on Wednesday.
Pomona-Pitzer slips to 5-11 on the year with the loss, against a schedule with 14 of its 16 opponents ranked in the top 30. Middlebury moves to 10-0 on the year with the win.
The Sagehens came out of doubles in a 3-0 hole despite bringing matches to tiebreakers at both No. 1 and No. 3. Wiechert and sophomore Kevin Wei (San Diego, Calif.), who had the decisive three-set win in singles yesterday against Wisconsin-Whitewater in a match that ended at 11:25 p.m., fell 7-5 in the tiebreaker at 3 on an Andrew Lebovitz volley at the net.
Ten minutes later, Middelbury took the 3-0 lead with Alex Johnston and Spencer Lunghino
winning 7-5 in a tiebreaker over seniors Max Sabel (Sun Valley, Idaho) and Frankie Allinson (McGregor, Texas).
Wiechert did earn a solid win at No. 2, defeating Brantner Jones 6-4, 6-3, but Middlebury was able to take two-setters at the other five lines. Sophomore Connor Hudson (Golden, Colo.) battled into a second-set tiebreaker, but fell 7-4 against Palmer Campbell.
The Sagehens will be back in action on Saturday at 10 a.m. against CMS, which is expected to take over the No. 1 spot in the national rankings which are released tomorrow.
Men's Tennis Summary
Middlebury 8, Pomona-Pitzer 1
1) Alex Johnston/Spencer Lunghino (MC) def. Max Sabel/Frankie Allison 9-8 (5)
2) Brantner Jones/Palmer Campbell (MC) def. Connor Hudson/Connor Sutton 8-4
3) Teddy Fitzgibbons/Andrew Lebovitz (MC) def. Chris Wiechert/Kevin Wei 9-8 (5)
1) Alex Johnston (MC) def. Max Sabel 6-3, 6-0
2) Chris Wiechert (PP) def Brantner Jones 6-4, 6-3
3) Palmer Campbell (MC) def Connor Hudson 6-4, 7-6 (4)
4) Spencer Lunghino (MC) def Frankie Allinson 6-3, 6-2
5) Teddy Fitzgibbons (MC) def Kevin Wei 6-2, 6-4
6) Zach Bruchmiller (MC) def Thomas Low 6-4, 6-0