Sagehens Roll Past Hardin-Simmons, Drop Tight One To No. 3 Williams
Claremont, Calif. - Sophomore Connor Hudson (Denver, Colo. - pictured) won 6-0, 6-0 against Hardin-Simmons and 6-2, 6-1 against No. 3 Williams, as the Pomona-Pitzer Men's Tennis team split two matches on Tuesday at the Pauley Tennis Complex.
The Sagehens came away with an 8-1 win over Hardin-Simmons, losing only one doubles match in a tiebreaker, while falling 6-3 in a tight match with Williams to move to 4-8 on the season.
Hudson was especially dominant as he rolled to a win against the Cowboys without losing a single game at No. 2 singles. He played at No. 3 singles against Williams, and was the first singles match in the books with a 6-1, 6-2 win to level the match at 2-2 after the Ephs won two of three doubles courts.
Junior Chris Wiechert (Eugene, Ore.) had his biggest win of the young season at No. 1 singles, as he took a 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 decision over Richard Meyer to give Pomona-Pitzer its other point in singles. Seniors Max Sabel (Sun Valley, Idaho) and Frankie Allinson (McGregor, Texas) won 8-4 at No. 1 doubles, but both lost tight battles in singles, with Sabel going three sets with Felix Sun at No. 2, falling 4-6, 6-2, 6-4, and Allinson getting edged 6-4, 7-5 at No. 4.
Against Hardin-Simmons, sophomore Michael Chang (Milpitas, Calif.) played his first singles match of the 2013 season at No. 6 and joined Hudson in winning a 6-0, 6-0 decision. Sabel won 7-5, 6-0 at No. 1, Allinson won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3, freshman Thomas Low (Charlotte, N.C.) won 6-2, 6-1 at No. 4 and freshman Jonathan Kim (Clayton, Calif.) earned a 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 5.
Sabel and Allinson coasted to an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles, while Hudson and Connor Sutton (Overland Park, Kan.) won 8-1 at No. 2. Hudson and Sutton would fall 8-4 to Williams at No. 3, their first loss in doubles together after five straight wins.
Pomona-Pitzer will travel to Whittier and Cal Lutheran this weekend for a pair of big SCIAC matches, facing the Poets on Friday at 2 p.m. and the Kingsmen on Saturday at 10 a.m.
No. 3 Williams 6, No. 22 Pomona-Pitzer 3
1) Max Sabel/Frankie Allinson (PP) def Alexander Schidlovsky/Richard Meyer 8-4
2) Matt Micheli/Felix Sun (WC) def Chris Wiechert/Kevin Wei 8-1
3) Bryan Chow/Brian Astrachan (WC) def Connor Hudson/Connor Sutton 8-4
1) Chris Wiechert (PP) def. Richard Meyer 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
2) Felix Sun (WC) def Max Sabel 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
3) Connor Hudson (PP) def Zach Weiss 6-1, 6-2
4) Matt Micheli (WC) def Frankie Allinson 6-4, 7-5
5) Bryan Chow (WC) def Thomas Low 6-2, 6-0
6) Howard Weiss (WC) def Kevin Wei 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish:
Pomona-Pitzer 8, Hardin-Simmons 1
1) Max Sabel/Frankie Allinson (PP) def. Michael McCullough/Nathan Chavez 8-2
2) Connor Hudson/Connor Sutton (PP) def. Jesse Rawlings/Frankie Sanchez 8-1
3) Steven Stanley/Jordan Wilson (HS) def. Joey DeDruin/Sam Crawford 9-8 (5)
1) Max Sabel (PP) def. Michael McCullough 7-5, 6-0
2) Connor Sutton (PP) def. Nathan Chavez 6-0, 6-0
3) Frankie Allinson (PP) def. Jesse Rawlings 6-1, 6-1
4) Thomas Low (PP) def. Steven Stanley 6-2, 6-1
5) Jonathan Kim (PP) def. Jordan Wilson 6-0, 6-3
6) Michael Chang (PP) def. Frankie Sanchez 6-0, 6-0