Claremont, Calif - The Pomona-Pitzer Men's Tennis team swept the three points in doubles and cruised to an 8-1 win over Rochester on Wednesday at Pauley Courts.
Sophomore Kevin Wei (San Diego, Calif. - pictured) helped the Sagehens break for a 9-7 win at No. 2 doubles for a 3-0 sweep, and then took a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 5 singles for Pomona-Pitzer's most dominant performance of the day.
Seniors Max Sabel (Sun Valley, Idaho) and Frankie Allinson (Waco, Texas) won at No. 1 doubles 8-3, and then took their singles matches in straight sets. Sabel won 6-4, 6-2 at No. 1 and Allinson won 6-3, 6-2 at No. 4. Sophomore Connor Hudson (Golden, Colo.) also won at both singles and doubles, teaming with Connor Sutton (Overland Park, Kan.) for an 8-5 win at No. 3 doubles, and then winning 7-5, 6-1 at No. 2 singles.
Freshman Thomas Low (Charlotte, N.C.) had the closest win for the Sagehens, taking an extended tiebreaker in the third set 10-7, after winning the first set 6-4 and falling 7-6 in a second-set tiebreaker (7-4).
Pomona-Pitzer is back in action on Friday at 10 a.m. against Bowdoin in the first round of the Stag-Hen Invitational.
Men's Tennis: No. 16 Pomona-Pitzer 8, Rochester 1
1) Max Sabel (PP) def Boris Borovcanin 6-4, 6-2
2) Connor Sutton (PP) def Julian Danko 7-5, 6-1
3) Thomas Low (PP) def Ben Shapiro 6-4, 6-7 (4),10-7
4) Frankie Allinson (PP) def Matthew Levine 6-3, 6-2
5) Kevin Wei (PP) def Joel Allen 6-0, 6-0
6) Ian Baranowski (UR) def Kevin Prescott 6-4, 7-5
1) Max Sabel/Frankie Allison (PP) def Julian Danko/Boris Borovcanin 8-3
2) Chris Wiechert/Kevin Wei (PP) def Ben Shapiro/Matthew Levine 9-7
3) Connor Hudson/Connor Sutton (PP) def Ian Baranowski/Joel Allen 8-5
Order of Finish