Sagehens Fall In Tight One To NC Wesleyan
Claremont, Calif. - Freshman Thomas Low (Charlotte, N.C.) won at singles and doubles for the second straight match, but the No. 16 ranked Pomona-Pitzer Men's Tennis team fell 6-3 to No. 15 North Carolina Wesleyan on Wednesday at Pauley Courts.
With the loss, the Sagehens fall to 0-2 on the year, while NC Wesleyan improves to 4-4. Senior Max Sabel (Sun Valley, Idaho - pictured) also won at singles 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 2 spot for the Sagehens.
All three doubles matches were 8-5 scores, with Low and sophomore Connor Hudson (Denver, Colo.) taking their match at No. 3, but the Sagehens fell at 1 and 2 to fall into a 2-1 hole. Low quickly won his match at No. 5 by a 6-0, 6-2 score to level the match, and Sabel followed with his win at No. 2 to give the Sagehens a momentary lead at 3-2.
However, the Bishops bounced back with a win at No. 6, and Robert Kjellberg finished off a three-set win over junior Chris Wiechert (Eugene, Ore.) at No. 1 to give NC Wesleyan a 4-3 lead. Hudson found himself in a tight battle at No. 3, dropping the first set in a tiebreaker (7-5) and trailing 6-5 in the second set trying to force another. He fought off one match point against Johan Ljungdahl with a forehand winner, but Ljungdahl took advantage of the second one to finish off a 7-6, 7-5 win and clinch the match.
Senior Frankie Allinson (Waco, Texas) won the second set 7-5 to level his match at a set apiece, but fell in the extended tiebreaker in the third set 10-7 to finish out the scoring.
Pomona-Pitzer is back in action tomorrow when it takes on Mary Washington at 3 p.m.
No. 15 North Carolina Wesleyan 6, No. 16 Pomona-Pitzer 3
1) Robert Kjellberg/Artsiom Prostak (NCWC) def Frankie Allinson/Max Sabel 8-5
2) Peter Hviid/Johan Ljungdahl (NCWC) def Chris Wiechert/Kevin Wei 8-5
3) Connor Hudson/Thomas Low (PP) def Mikhail Konnov/Marcus Pola 8-5
1) Robert Kjellberg (NCWC) def Chris Wiechert 6-0, 2-6, 6-1
2) Max Sabel (PP) def Artsiom Prostak 6-1, 6-1
3) Johan Ljungdahl (NCWC) def Connor Hudson 7-6 (5), 7-5
4) Peter Hviid (NCWC) def Frankie Allinson 7-5, 5-7, 10-7
5) Thomas Low (PP) def Mikhail Konnov 6-0, 6-2
6) Marcus Pola (NCWC) def Kevin Prescott 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish